Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Northrop Frye- The Bush Garden: Essays on the Canadian Imagination


A book for my thesis; one of the first that I've posted on here, although I've already read quite a few. This one is a collection of Frye's writings about Canadian literature and art. It contains his reviews of poetry for the "Letters in Canada" series for the University of Toronto Quarterly (very useful to me, as he reviews Anne Wilkinson's collections in 1951 and 1955), as well as a number of seminal essays on Canadian literature, including his "Conclusion" to Carl Klinck's The Literary History of Canada, and Preface to an Uncollected Anthology, where he imagines that, without the constraints of money or copyright, he has collected the ultimate anthology of Canadian poetry and is writing the introduction to it. I love this book because it is about my beloved Canada and my beloved Canadian writing, and because Frye's love for the art of his homeland shines through loud and clear. I know and love the work that he's talking about, and it's such a treat, in this day and age where Canadian content is legislated, rather than celebrated, to hear that love coming from someone as great as Frye, however long ago he wrote it.

No comments:

 

Sample text

Sample Text

miscellany, n.:
1. A mixture, medley, or assortment; (a collection of) miscellaneous objects or items.

Sample Text