Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 12, 2007

Why another blog?

I decided today that I needed another blog. Why, you might wonder? Well, you'll all have noticed my "Currently Reading" bar on the left hand side of Melissa's Miscellany where I post what I'm currently reading. But I've been feeling for awhile that the sidebar is inadequate. For one, the sidebar only says the title and gives a cover shot, which doesn't let me say anything at length about whether the book is good, bad, or indifferent.
Another thing that bothers me is that once I change the sidebar, whatever was there is gone. There is no record of what I've been reading, which is something that I want. Book lists are a time honoured tradition for authors and poets, male and female alike. Anne Wilkinson, who I'm writing my Master's thesis on, kept an extensive book list in her journal, and to have that is an amazing resource. I don't think that Virginia Woolf kept one, or if she did I haven't seen it, which is a total shame, because she reviewed hundreds of books for the Times. I have read thousands of books in my life, and I'm sure that I'll read thousands more, and I want to be able to look back at the end of my life and see what words were in my life.
For each post, I'll put up a screen shot of whatever it is that I'm reading, and comment on whatever it is. Books will be organized by genre in the labels tab on the left hand side of the screen, so you can just click on "Novel" to see all of the novels that I've put up. I'm normally reading three or four books at a time, so there will be lots of put up on here. So, here goes!

No comments:

 

Sample text

Sample Text

miscellany, n.:
1. A mixture, medley, or assortment; (a collection of) miscellaneous objects or items.

Sample Text